Position: Operational Director
Location: Cambodia – Based in Phnom Penh with regular trips to Poipet (North of Cambodia – Thai-Cambodian border), Kep (South of Cambodia) and Neak Loeung (East of Cambodia).
Starting date: August 1st, 2019
Deadline for applications: May 31st, 2019
Damnok Toek (www.damnoktoek.org) is a local NGO working in Cambodia since 1997 with the aim of supporting vulnerable children such as street children, children with disabilities, and children victims of trafficking/unsafe migration. Working in Poipet, Neak Loueng and Kep, Damnok Toek currently employs over 100 Cambodian staff and over 700 children benefit from tailored services daily.
The Executive Director and Operational Director are both leading the organization as a team.
- The Operational Director is responsible for day-to-day operations, managing the organization’s program and budget in collaboration with the Executive Director, the projects and finance staff;
- This position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for Damnok Toek finances and programs;
- Working with the management team, the position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices. The Operational Director also interacts directly with the Board members, when required.
- Responsible for implementing new projects, overseeing the development and execution of project deliverables, lead project design, planning, budgeting, action plans and monitoring processes in collaboration with the project coordinators;
- Oversee all project activities and be the main contact point for the project coordinators;
- Lead and motivate the project team and oversee professional development of staff within the organisation;
- Ensures close collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners and government authorities.
Fundraising and Financial Management
Oversee and support:
- The process of drafting concept notes, project ideas, project proposals and reports and ensure their timely submission carried out by the Technical Advisor for Finance;
- Maintain relationships with existing donors and respond to their requests regularly;
- Identify donor opportunities matching the work of the organization;
- Prepare and analyze budgets and develop financial reports;
- Oversee the financial operations of the organization and support the finance officers and accountants.
Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership
- Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational quality;
- Lead monitoring and evaluation processes for all programs, including analysis of data collected in the projects to ensure good-quality results;
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team,
- Oversee the completion of all organisational policies, including Child Protection Policy, Human Resources Policy, etc.
- Motivation to work with a grassroots organisation;
- At least five years’ experience managing programs, projects and finance in the international development field;
- Fluent spoken and written English – Khmer is a strong asset;
- Work experience in Cambodia or the region is a strong asset;
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff and major projects or initiatives in a supportive and culturally appropriate manner;
- Ability to build consensus and relationships among collaborators, partners, donors and employees;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Strong interest in Child Protection issues and projects supporting vulnerable and street-children;
- Ability and willingness to travel often to provinces (regular travel is required);
- Flexibility and a good sense of humour.
How to apply
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
To apply, please send your CV, a motivation letter and other documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a position within a local NGO with a fair remuneration without offering UN or other international organisations salaries or benefits.
Coordinator Job Description
- Goal of the function
The aim of this function is to fulfill his/her duties in accordance with the statutes, the working contract, and the different policies of Damnok Toek to assist vulnerable children and their families.
- The coordinator is responsible to implement and to monitor the good functioning of the Kep center for residence ( Young adults With Disabilities)
- As a coordinator s/he is responsible and has the right and duty to control, improve, organize, supervise and manage the implementation and coordination of the project.
- The coordinator has the duty to represent the organization towards donors, visitors and other external partners.
- The coordinator is responsible for the good coordination and information transmission between the Board, the staff, other collaborators, and partner organizations.
- The coordinator is responsible to set up, and enforce policies with support of management team.
High school degree, working experience with target group (in NGO) at least 3 years, management/leadership skills, communication skills (confidentiality, dealing with positive and negative feedback to/from staff, staff capacity building, networking skills), teamwork (information sharing), initiative, and a flexible personality.
English language is preferred both in speaking and writing.
- Working schedule
Monday to Friday: 7h00am-12h00am 2pm-17h00
schedule that may vary according to need
The coordinator is also expected to come to the center at least one time during the weekend, or one evening during the week, to ensure everything is well at the center (“surprise visit”). S/he will also be asked to work occasionally during public holidays, like all other staff working for Damnok Toek.
Additionally, the schedule may vary at times because of: donor visits, problems that need to be addressed immediately, special events, or as per team leader social work responsibility, some travel. The coordinator must be an example for the staff and must be flexible.
- Probation period
A probation period of 3 (three) months will start following the day of the signature of this agreement.
- Main duties and competences
5.1 Duties as a member of the management team
- Implement the decisions made by the BOD
- Transmit decisions made by the BOD to direct subordinates
- lead the staff meeting every week
- Provide input for annual budget to the management team
- Duties as Residential Center Coordinator
- Supervise the children’s health by referring to appropriate services, following up and ensuring good documentation of care provided; Refer any serious medical cases to hospital or other health facilities, accompany residents during important medical appointments
- Ensure proper order of the medicine boxes; ensure adequate and no expired supply
- Supervise the proper management of human resources: educators (direct child care workers), physiotherapist, occupational therapist, social worker, and volunteers (if any) – recruit and train as needed.
- Manage staff files
- Organize schedule/replacements of educators
- Ensure good working relations, transparency and communication among the team
- Responsible to find appropriate training for educators and other staff
- Evaluation of educators with assistance of at least one management team member (6, and 12, months)
- Supervision and evaluation of the volunteers (if present)
General Center Activities:
- Facilitate every week educator/staff meeting
- Responsible for implementing and developing rules/guidelines of the center
- Ensure that the child protection policy is applied at all times, by all staff.
- Ensure that the minimum standards are met; seek opportunities to do above and beyond
- Supervise children meeting/schedule/activities; propose new activities
- Suggest new children for the center (case background, implications to current capacity, etc.)
- Develop partnerships with other organizations and companies providing vocational trainings, internships, apprenticeships
- Manage PP email inbox, answer emails, and forward emails whenever needed
- Manage school materials and medical equipment/supplies of the center
Duties related to social work
- Lead and participate in family assessment/tracing/follow-up and home visits
- Propose to the management team referral of children to adapted structures or reintegration
- Assistance with counseling of children as needed/requested.
- Oversee individual children goals: review the current goals, assess and help to update every three months
- Public relations
- Assist to manage external requests (donors, medias, volunteers, other NGO …)
- Ensure good relationship with donors.
- Develop partnerships with organizations working on disability
- Increase and ensure good relationship with relevant local authorities and ministries
- Information to give:
- Orientation and information to Management team /BOD from other NGOs, organizations
- Orientation and information to Management team /BOD from the government
- Orientation and information to other organizations about the project (public relations)
- Monthly statistics
- Annual Activity Report on project activities
- Activity reports for the donors
- Transfer knowledge acquired from workshops, trainings
- Information about visitors/volunteers
- Information about donors visiting
- Information about training for capacity building
- Information to receive
- Minutes from the BOD meeting
- Information from management team, TA
- Information according to required outputs/standards from donors
- Information from other institutions which are linked to Damnok Toek
- Information about new donors
- Duties of control
- Control of child records
- Control monthly statistics
- Control and implement decisions made by the Management team
- Control implementation of rules, regulations for children and staff
- Control activities and schedules of subordinates
- Control implementation of working contracts with subordinates (working hours, annual leave, sick leave and special leave)
- Control week end activity planning for educators
- Monitor hygiene and maintenance of Residential Center facilities and Compound
- Control objectives and outputs of the Residential Center
- Ensure that children benefit at residential center (progress, development)
Please send your CV, a motivation letter and contact information to: email@example.com